Saturday, 7 March 2015

Women's day - another futile tradition

 A LONG STORY ALERT!!

One of my colleagues(a male co worker) at work sent me wishes for Women's day and it said , "Happy Women's Day." I could not come up with one good reason on why this Women's day would be "Happy."
This day makes the least sense in India espcially. There have been multiple  incidents happening that aches the woman in me. One reason that tops the chart would be the Nirbhaya Rape case which came back to highlight lately. India has banned the documentary shot by BBC as it claims that it hurts the sentiments of "India's daughter." As a person who has personally watched it, I felt it was far less melodramatic than those news channels which aired shows under the name of "Breaking news" back then when the incident took place. The documentary was thoroughly balanced and was not biased either towards the victim nor towards the accused. It portrayed the (in)human nature stupendously with out having to highlight or raise fingers at  who was wrong and who was right. 

"Good girls dont go out to movies, bars and pub in the evenings. This should be a lesson to them."
"The girl should'nt have faught back, she should have let the rape happen. We would not have harmed her this cruelly."
"I saw him put his hands inside her and pull out some thing long.It must have been her intenstines."
"House work and house keeping is for girls and not roaming around the roads at night."
 These were some of the most gruesome things said by the accused during the interview. 
What left me flummoxed was that he did not show any sign of remorse while uttering these words. I am baffled as I donot know under what category these (in)humans would get classified.Animals have known to exhibit empathy and pain when their own race was under threat.

What irked me more were the things the lawyers fighting for the accused said during the interview.
"If you keep sweets on the street, then dogs will come and eat them. It was the parent's fault to let their daughter go with some boy at that time."
"We have the best culture.  In our culture there is no place for women." I am sure this would be same guy who would spend hours of time praying to the Godess Durga also called Durga Ma. Is this what his mother taught him?How can he claim to be learnt and well educated when he did not even flinch while making such atrocious accusations?
Another genious goes on to say on national and international media that he would burn his daughter alive in front of his family if she would get into pre marital hocus pocus.I simply don't get the nerve of these (in)human beings. 
How are these lawyers different from the rapists? They share similar ideas inspite of claiming to be educated. 
All through the inteview, my eyes were darting to find one tiny drop of tear or sign of regret. I was then hit by an epipheny, I was expecting emotions from perpetrators and monstors. Watching the news roll reiteratively and the documentary made me a hot head and I, like the others wanted capital punishment to be declared for these megre living creatures. But,on talking to a friend I realized that these "men" were not the disease but just the symptoms. Giving them one shot death is not even a punishment and many such men would spring up in the society in no time with more wrath as one of the accused rightly pointed out in the movie. My friend came up with an idea which I now completely concur. He said and I quote, I think their body parts should be auctioned while they are alive and should be donated to those in need of transplants and the money raised could be a part of "Nirbhaya fund."This would be an honor to those girls and women who died suffering. I plead the government to come up with a campaign named "Best out of waste" and use this technique to punish the monstors.

The story does not end here, being an unbiased femisnist, I fight for equal rights for men and women. Hence how can I not talk about women who cause the downfall of women. These women are not horridious criminals but are the simple house hold ones who have not evolved in thoughts. They need no weapons or ammunitions to create imbalance. Their tongues wagging is enough. I have personally witnessed/ heard incidents where women in the form of mothers/daughters/wives/mothers -in-law played chief roles in bringing their own down fall. How many incidents have we not seen or heard of about female feoticide? A new bride is given rules by the both her families and is asked to comply and adjust so that she can keep every one happy but not herself. Girls in India are brought up with the mind set of being sent to some else's home after marriage.We are brought up saying that we need some one round the clock for our support and protection!! So if that is the case, why are women made to adjust to everything when she goes to her in laws or at her own house while they were promised to be taken care of. Is this not hyporcrisy? The other day, I was jesting at my dinner table at my cousin's place about how my mom (back at Bangalore) took care of my guy cousins by doing a few things which she did neither to my brother or me. The instant reply I got(by another woman) was, "You are to go to another house, so you should not expect such gestures." This might seem to be a very simple thing which you may think that I am blowing out of proportion,but, it spinned my whole day off. I did not want to raise a quarrel as she was an elderly woman, but I did mention that these differences are the s seeds sown for the downfall of Women. Women take the age to their advantage and speak what ever comes to their mind to take control.  
Stigma and position in the soceity are the two main villians to a human life. Why are we creating these differences? Men and women are inter dependent, so how can one claim they are superior over the other?When we cannot change the mentality of our fellow women at home how can we go on to change the other women and men in this mammoth of a soceity? 
Will this soceity ever let go of the traditions which are passe' and change with time?
Will men and women understand that they are all peas of the same pod called soceity and nobody is above another?
Now tell me, will this still be a "Happy Women's day?"

No comments:

Post a Comment